First Floor Conference Room
Topeka, Kansas 66618
· The Shawnee County Planning Commission holds a public hearing on the second Monday of each month to consider certain zoning, conditional use permit, subdivision, and other related proposals as may be required by laws of the state or county.
· The following agenda identifies and describes each proposal to be considered by the Commission.
· Please refer to the attached Hearing Procedure governing the rules of conduct and the manner in which individual items will be heard.
· Unless continued, all zoning and conditional use permit matters on this agenda will be considered by the Shawnee County Commission on Monday, October 3, 2016 at 9:00 A.M. in the Shawnee County Courthouse, Room B-11, Topeka, Kansas.
Monday, October 10, 2016
Christi McKenzie, Chairperson
Nancy Johnson, Vice-Chairperson
Anna M. Ortega, Zoning Administrator
Joelee A. Charles, Administrative Assistant
Shawnee County Planning Commission
A. Call to Order and Announcement of Hearing Procedure
B. Roll Call and Declaration of a Quorum
C. Approval of Minutes for July 11, 2016, Public Hearing
E. Ex parte Communications by Members of the Commission
F. Declaration of Conflict of Interest by Members of the Commission or Staff
G. Zoning and Subdivision Items
1. CU16/02 by Steven W. & Shauna C. Porubsky, Owner—J. B. Pearl Sales & Service, Inc., Purchaser seeking a Conditional Use Permit to establish a storage and retail sales facility for seed, crop protection and other related products used for agricultural production on property zoned “RR-1” Residential Reserve District and located at 5523 NW 25th Street in Menoken Township.
H. Public Comment on Non-Agenda Planning and Zoning Items
I. Discussion of Planning Related Issues
1. Comprehensive Plan Kickoff Presentation
Welcome! Your attendance and participation in tonight’s hearing is important and ensures a comprehensive scope of review. It is because of the significance of this proceeding that everyone understands the hearing procedure.
Each item appearing on the agenda will be considered by the Shawnee County Planning Commission in the following manner:
1. The Planning Department staff will introduce each agenda item and present the staff report and recommendation. Commission members will then have an opportunity to ask questions of staff.
2. Chairperson will then call for presentation by applicant followed by questions from the Commission.
3. Chairperson will then call for public comments in the following order:
q Comments of those speaking in favor
q Comments of those speaking in opposition
Each speaker must come to the podium and state your name and address for the record. The Chairperson reserves the right to establish a time limit for all speakers to afford everyone the opportunity to speak and in consideration of other items appearing on the agenda. At the conclusion of each speaker’s comments, the Commission will have the opportunity to ask questions. The applicant will be given the opportunity for rebuttal and make concluding comments. The Chairperson reserves the right to allow additional testimony from proponents and opponents after all initial comments are made.
4. Chairperson will close the public hearing at which time no further public comments will be received. Commission members may then discuss the proposal and ask further questions of staff.
5. Chairperson will then call for a motion on the item, which may be cast in the affirmative or negative. Upon a second to the motion, the Chairperson will call for a roll call vote in which Commission members will then vote yes, no or abstain.
Each item appearing on the agenda represents a potential change in the manner in which land may be used or developed. Significant to this process is public comment, which affords the Commission with information essential for making a determination. Your cooperation and attention to the above noted hearing procedure will ensure an orderly meeting and afford an opportunity for all to participate. Please Be Respectful! Each person’s testimony is important regardless of his or her position. All questions and comments shall be directed to the Chairperson from the podium and not to the applicant, staff or audience.