First Floor Conference Room
Topeka, Kansas 66618
· The Shawnee County Planning Commission holds a public hearing on the second Monday of each month to consider certain zoning, conditional use permit, subdivision, and other related proposals as may be required by laws of the state or county.
· The following agenda identifies and describes each proposal to be considered by the Commission.
· Please refer to the attached Hearing Procedure governing the rules of conduct and the manner in which individual items will be heard.
· Unless continued, all zoning and conditional use permit matters on this agenda will be considered by the Shawnee County Commission on Monday, May 1, 2017, at 9:00 a.m. in the Shawnee County Courthouse, Room B-11, Topeka, Kansas.
Monday, May 8, 2017
Pat Tryon, Chairperson
Jerry Desch, Vice-Chairperson
Anna M. Ortega, Zoning Administrator
Joelee A. Charles, Administrative Assistant
Shawnee County Planning Commission
A. Call to Order and Announcement of Hearing Procedure
B. Roll Call and Declaration of a Quorum
C. Approval of Minutes for the March 13, 2017, Public Hearing
1. The Commissioner – October 2014.
2. The Commissioner – April 2015.
3. The Commissioner – June 2015.
E. Ex parte Communications by Members of the Commission
F. Declaration of Conflict of Interest by Members of the Commission or Staff
G. Zoning and Subdivision Items
1. CU17/03 by Nancy L. Thomas Trust seeking a Conditional Use Permit to establish a public utility facility (Kansas Gas Service Town Border Station) on property zoned “RA-1” Rural Agriculture District and located immediately west of 10624 NW Parr Rd in Silver Lake Township. (Continued from 03/13/17)
2. CU17/01 by Christopher L. & Connie L. Noe seeking a Conditional Use Permit on behalf of Verizon Wireless to establish a communication tower on property zoned “RR-1” Residential Reserve District and located at 4041 SE Shawnee Heights Road in Tecumseh Township.
3. CU17/04 by David H. & Renee C. Stevens seeking a Conditional Use Permit to establish an animal boarding facility on property zoned “RR-1” Residential Reserve District and located at 4840 SW Fairlawn Road in Mission Township. (Continued to 05/08/17 Meeting)
4. SE17/01 by Scott Bieker & Jon Roberts seeking approval of a Type 3 Special Event Permit to hold an off-road motorcycle race event on property zoned “RA-1” Rural Agriculture District and located at the southwest corner of SE 37th Street and SE Woodring Road in Tecumseh Township.
H. Public Comment on Non-Agenda Planning and Zoning Items
I. Discussion of Planning Related Issues
Welcome! Your attendance and participation in tonight’s hearing is important and ensures a comprehensive scope of review. It is because of the significance of this proceeding that everyone understands the hearing procedure.
Each item appearing on the agenda will be considered by the Shawnee County Planning Commission in the following manner:
1. The Planning Department staff will introduce each agenda item and present the staff report and recommendation. Commission members will then have an opportunity to ask questions of staff.
2. Chairperson will then call for presentation by applicant followed by questions from the Commission.
3. Chairperson will then call for public comments in the following order:
q Comments of those speaking in favor
q Comments of those speaking in opposition
Each speaker must come to the podium and state your name and address for the record. The Chairperson reserves the right to establish a time limit for all speakers to afford everyone the opportunity to speak and in consideration of other items appearing on the agenda. At the conclusion of each speaker’s comments, the Commission will have the opportunity to ask questions. The applicant will be given the opportunity for rebuttal and make concluding comments. The Chairperson reserves the right to allow additional testimony from proponents and opponents after all initial comments are made.
4. Chairperson will close the public hearing at which time no further public comments will be received. Commission members may then discuss the proposal and ask further questions of staff.
5. Chairperson will then call for a motion on the item, which may be cast in the affirmative or negative. Upon a second to the motion, the Chairperson will call for a roll call vote in which Commission members will then vote yes, no or abstain.
Each item appearing on the agenda represents a potential change in the manner in which land may be used or developed. Significant to this process is public comment, which affords the Commission with information essential for making a determination. Your cooperation and attention to the above noted hearing procedure will ensure an orderly meeting and afford an opportunity for all to participate. Please Be Respectful! Each person’s testimony is important regardless of his or her position. All questions and comments shall be directed to the Chairperson from the podium and not to the applicant, staff or audience.