First Floor Conference Room
Topeka, Kansas 66618
Shawnee County Board of Zoning Appeals:
∑ The Shawnee County Board of Zoning Appeals is an independent body appointed by the Shawnee County Commission to hear and decide requests for appeals, variances and exceptions. The Shawnee County Planning Commission has been designated by the Shawnee County Commission as the Board of Zoning Appeals.† The action of the Board of Zoning Appeals is final unless appealed to district court within 30 days of the final decision of the Board.
∑ The following agenda identifies and describes each proposal to be considered by the Planning Commission.
∑ Please refer to the attached Hearing Procedure governing the rules of conduct and the manner in which individual items will be heard.
Monday, July 8, 2019
††††† Brian Aubert, Chairman††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Anna M. Ortega, Interim Planning Director
††††† Jake Fisher, Vice-Chairman†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Joelee A. Charles, Administrative Assistant
††††† Chad Depperschmidt, Member
††††† Matthew McCurry, Member
††††† Judy Moler, Member
††††† Elaine Schwartz, Member
††††† Tyler Tenbrink, Member
Welcome!† Your attendance and participation in tonightís hearing is important and ensures a comprehensive scope of review.† It is because of the significance of this proceeding that everyone understands the hearing procedure.
Each item appearing on the agenda will be considered by the Shawnee County Planning Commission in the following manner:
1. The Planning Department staff will introduce each agenda item and present the staff report and recommendation.† Commission members will then have an opportunity to ask questions of staff.
2. Chairperson will then call for presentation by applicant followed by questions from the Commission.
3. Chairperson will then call for public comments in the following order:
q Comments of those speaking in favor
q Comments of those speaking in opposition
††††† Each speaker must come to the podium and state your name and address for the record.† The Chairperson reserves the right to establish a time limit for all speakers to afford everyone the opportunity to speak and in consideration of other items appearing on the agenda.† At the conclusion of each speakerís comments, the Commission will have the opportunity to ask questions. The applicant will be given the opportunity for rebuttal and make concluding comments.† The Chairperson reserves the right to allow additional testimony from proponents and opponents after all initial comments are made.
4. Chairperson will close the public hearing at which time no further public comments will be received.† Commission members may then discuss the proposal and ask further questions of staff.
5. Chairperson will then call for a motion on the item, which may be cast in the affirmative or negative.† Upon a second to the motion, the Chairperson will call for a roll call vote in which Commission members will then vote yes, no or abstain.
Each item appearing on the agenda represents a potential change in the manner in which land may be used or developed.† Significant to this process is public comment, which affords the Commission with information essential for making a determination.† Your cooperation and attention to the above noted hearing procedure will ensure an orderly meeting and afford an opportunity for all to participate.† Please Be Respectful!† Each personís testimony is important regardless of his or her position.† All questions and comments shall be directed to the Chairperson from the podium and not to the applicant, staff or audience.
Shawnee County Board of Zoning Appeals
A. Call to Order and Announcement of Hearing Procedure
B. Roll Call and Declaration of a Quorum
C. Approval of Minutes for the August 13, 2018, Public Hearing
E. Ex parte Communications by Members of the Commission
F. Declaration of Conflict of Interest by Members of the Commission or Staff
G. Zoning and Subdivision Item
1. E19/01 by Tyler & Angela Grindal seeking an exception to increase the maximum building height and size for an accessory building on property located at 2630 SW Hoch Road in Dover Township.
H. Public Comment on Non-Agenda Planning and Zoning Items
I. Discussion of Planning Related Issues
1. Planning Departmentís 2020 Budget Request.