- Media Releases
- Surveyor’s Office
- Willard Bridge Information
- Sherwood Wastewater Fact Summary
- General Conditions
Asphalt Oil Index:
Asphalt Oil Index:
Shawnee County Department of Public Works
1515 NW Saline St, Suite 200,
Topeka, Kansas 66618-2844
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Mr. Curt Niehaus (Director of Public Works, County Engineer)
Voice: 785.251.6077 • Fax: 785.291.4920
PUBLIC NOTIFICATION / PRESS RELEASE
ROAD DISRUPTION / DISRUPTION: SE 29th Street – I-470/KTA Bridge to SE Wittenberg Road
Construction is set to begin Monday February 4, 2019, weather permitting, to improve SE 29th Street from the east end of the I-470/KTA Bridge to the west side of SE Wittenberg Road and be complete by December 6, 2019.
SE 29th Street improvements will consist of the following:
• Widen SE 29th Street to a five-lane urban arterial, asphalt pavement, concrete curb & gutter, and install a closed conduit storm sewer system.
• Construct a 12’ wide concrete Pedestrian / Bicycle sidewalk on the north side of the I-470/KTA Bridge.
• Construct a combination 10’ wide concrete Pedestrian / Bicycle along the north side of SE 29th Street and a 5’ concrete sidewalk along the south side of SE 29th west of SE West Edge Road to the I-470/KTA Bridge. East of SE West Road to SE Wittenberg Road a 5’ wide concrete sidewalk will be constructed along the north side of SE 29th Street while a 10’ wide concrete Pedestrian / Bicycle sidewalk will be constructed along the south side.
• Remove and replace the existing 3-cell arch bridge over Deer Creek and replace it with a new precast concrete arch bridge.
• Install a new traffic control signal at the intersection of SW 29th & SE West Edge Road.
• Widen SE West Edge Road south from SE 29th Street to three-lanes for a distance of approximately 500 feet.
Construction Sequencing / Traffic Disruption / Closure:
Phase 1, 1A and 2: SE 29th Street from the east side of SE Granger to the west side of SE Wittenberg Road, plus a section of SE West Edge south from SE 29th approximately 600 feet will be CLOSED TO TRAFFIC for the removal and replacement of the SE 29th Street Bridge over Deer Creek for a period of 81 calendar days (February 4, 2019 to April 26, 2019) then reopened to single lane traffic in each direction on the north half of SE 29th Street to allow the contractor to construct the south half of the street widening. Once the south half is complete, the contractor will switch traffic to the new pavement and complete construction of the north half.
SE 29th & SE Wittenberg Road intersection will be open at all times during construction of Phases 1, 1A and 2.
During construction of SE 29th Street (Phase 1, 1A and 2) the following detour route has been established.
• Eastbound SE 29th Street traffic will be detoured north on SE California Avenue to SE 21st Street, thence east of SE 21st Street to SE Wittenberg Road, thence south of SE Wittenberg Road to SE 29th Street.
• Westbound SE 29th Street traffic will be detoured north on SE Wittenberg Road to SE 21st Street thence west on SE 21st Street to SE California Avenue thence south on SE California Ave to SE 29th Street.
— XXX —